Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Hope of Superheroes

As a little kid I always wanted to be a superhero.  I use to have Batman and Robin costumes. They were the ones with the plush abdominal and pectoral muscles, and I would constantly wear them under my clothes. One Halloween, I wore a homemade Robin costume based off of Robin in the Teen Titans, and my younger brother wore a little Batman suit. (I won’t comment on the fact that I was the sidekick to my younger brother of five years). I used to beg my dad to let me watch the Justice League during half time of football games, and my favorite action figures were all the different Batman characters. I loved superheroes, and I always wanted to be a superhero.
            As I got older, the possibility of being a superhero got smaller and smaller. There wasn’t any radioactive goo in small town East Tennessee. There weren’t any tall buildings for me to jump from, nor were there any super villains trying to take over. But, while the reality of being superhero quickly faded, my love for superheroes kept growing. I loved the stories, the rescues, and the fights, and the movies helped grow that love in me. Every time a new superhero movie was released, I had to go see it. I remember seeing the first X-Men, and then spending a long season time putting knives between my fingers. The Sam Rami Spider-Man movies were my daydreams, and in college, the Avengers was one of the highlights of my freshman year. Superheroes have always been a staple in my life.
            And this is true today. I still get overly excited for each new superhero movie. Right now, my mind is set on Deadpool in February. Then I am cautiously optimistic about Batman v Superman, and I am beyond excited for Captain America: Civil War. But, at the same time, superheroes have started to become overwhelming. Through 2020, we are expected to get almost 30 new superhero movies. Even for an avid superhero fan, that is a plethora of movies. There are now talks of superhero fatigue, and there appears to be this expectation that the genre will fail. It is almost if people feel like there is no need for the superhero genre anymore. The stories are the same, and the characters are boring. They have run their course.
            And honestly, if I think like the adult I have become, then I have a tendency to agree with people. Comic books are for children, and my rational, educated mind believes the tropes and stories are done. My cynical mind knows that it all is just a cash grab anyways. It is what I read on a regular basis, and it is what I am being taught by society.
            But then, I remember my childhood, and I remember my love for superheroes. I remember why I loved them. I remember the hope they gave me. The hope that I could be a hero every time I put on the muscle suit and the cape. The hope that there are always good guys that always beat bad guys and save the day. That is what Superhero films provide. They provide hope. They provide hope to little kids everywhere. Hope that there are heroes in the world, and bad guys will always get beat up. They provide hope to adults. Hope that good can conquer evil. They provide hope to those hurting that everything will be okay. The provide hope in the form of escape, even just for a few hours. They provide hope.

            And I know, this might be written off as an over simplification and cheesy, but, I truly believe that when we walk into a movie theater, just for a few hours, there is hope. There, the world stops, and just for a moment, we are guaranteed that good will conquer evil. It is this hope that keeps me excited for the heroes still to come. It is this hope that gets my heart racing every time I see the Marvel logo. It is this hope that I want to share with my future kids one day. It is hope that keeps me excited in the midst of superhero fatigue, and it is hope that I believe we will always need.

No comments:

Post a Comment